• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Guitar Players and Builders Thread

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
I wish I could ride my former bycicle these days. But I am particularily keen on facebreaking my speed. And these new electric bikes and rollers are devils work, if you ask me. At least they young whippersnappers driving them act like assassins out for blood of all other people on the sidewalks

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Keeping the whammy bar I see. Going for the semi-Hendrix look, and putting a humbucker at the bridge position. I gotta say though, I've never been a fan of whammy bars I never used a good one, but they've always given me grief with tuning, and string breaking. I'm glad they offer a hard tail, because even though I'm more of a Gibson, or PRS guy, you really need a Strat amongst those, for that single coil sound, you can't get from splitting coils on a humbucker, or the fat sound from a P90 soap bar single coil.

Now Fender basses, you just can't beat them for that pure classic rock sound, the only exception is a Music Man...which was also Leo Fender, after he sold Fender to CBS. A lot of people don't realize the Leo Fender invented the electric bass. I prefer the pj-bass to the jazz bass, just because of esthetics, and a standard p-bass because of the second pick up. The build I was thinking of doing will be a pj-bass. But honestly, as I look at things, and start pricing what I want, it looks like it would be cheaper to buy a Squire, and swap pick ups, and maybe the bridge. One of the hardest things is finding versions I like.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
I chose the reverse headstock because tuning the classic way is a pain in the heck. Thewhammy is something I would use only from time to tzime, right now, I play a hardttail strat. I agree, those are better, but I want the option to switch to the trem use. The bridge humbucker is for the power rock chords or heavy solo sounds. The bridge single coil is a bit too thin to me, I miss my Les Paul, in that regard.

Basses, I pretty much close to never played them. But what I hear, in the demos from Norman's Rare Guitars, or the myriad of rock, funk, jazz, soul, you name it music... every voice you pick, it's perfect.

Yes, go for a Squier,.I have a Squier, too, and will upgrade pickups and tuners in december, I think, I get a bonus payment then.

I am so glad they sell ready to install. Possibly I'll go for the Tex Mex Prewired Pickguard

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_pre_wired_st_pickguard_tex_mex.htm

Mr. Daystar

They offer a lot of variety in the pre-wired format, for Fender's. I guess that's the advantage of they body routing all done on top. Of course Leo Fender did say, "A quality instrument, is easily repaired". Which holds true to Fender, bolt on necks, the pick up wiring, it's all right there. A set neck requires a lot of glue solvent, and wood working to repair, and forget it, if you have a neck-thru set up. The thing is, if you have a bolt on neck, it really needs to be shimmed right, so you can get the strings nice and low, and I personally like a Rock Maple neck. My Schecter has a 3 piece Maple/Walnut 6 bolt, bolt on, and it plays nice. The Bass I wanted/want to build would basically be equivalent to a Fender American in price, Which is fine, because it could be done over time, but like I said in a previous post, body wood, neck wood, and a good truss rod are all you need to start with. So finding a Squire made of Alder, or Swamp Ash, isn't as easy as finding a Fender made of those. The other thing is the 2 different color combos I would like, would require almost everything swapped out, so I'm not sure what I'm thing about yet. I was also thinking of a cheap $200 kit, no upgrades, just to see if I'm up to the job.

Mr. Daystar

So these were 3 sites I've been poking around. They have a wide variety, but basically they are the same. They are also relatively cheap, so screwing one up, isn't gonna send me into a state of frustration, and anger. These, are them.

https://www.solomusicgear.com/
https://thefretwire.com/
https://www.pitbullguitars.com/

They have a decent selection and they also have skill level recommendations. If I drop $200 including paint, and sell it, I'll ask for cost, and be happy for the experience. Or give it away to someone that wants to learn, or tinker. The goal is to get good enough to do set necks, and minor custom work. For instance, I want a double neck bass on bottom, 12 string on top. Maybe I can rework the kit, and adjust the lower part.

Now I priced out a Squire Affinity PJ bass, and swapped the bridge to a hipshot hi mass, the pick ups to Seymour Duncan 1/4 lb. pick ups. (Roger Waters used them on his signature bass), and locking tuners, and it had an alder body, maple neck, an Indian Laurel fret board, which I DO NOT LIKE, and it came in about $750. The Mexican Fenders are about $800-$900. and Fender American's are around $1,500 bucks, so that's a toss up.

Now THIS site, intrigues me.....
.https://guitarandbassbuilds.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI77n8uKXG8gIVzGxvBB3JXgX3EAAYASAAEgL-cPD_BwE

I've poked around, and basically with pick ups, tuners, bridge, etc., which I would put on a body I priced out at about $550, in combo with the $250-$600 dollar Fender necks, I've just made my own Fender American. But these people will make your body how you want it. So you can build a Strat with the humbucker in the middle position. Or I can have that rear single coil slot widened for a humbucker. They'll even finish them for you.

The thing is, I like a Fender basses, but I prefer a 2 top, 2 bottom tuning peg arrangement, and the only people that seem to make really good necks, make them in the Fender style, because they're bolt on, and it seems they may have a standard measurement. If the heel fits the 6 string slot on the double neck kite, I'll go with left handed, so I can fit my paws in there, to tune up.
_images_farm_double1.jpg
600full-michael-rutherford.jpg
images.jpg

In my opinion, Mike Rutherford's Shergold double neck, was a great example of a good shape. But I think I would have a problem with the control layout, and his guitar was a bit odd in it's set up, but for shape, and configuration, it's a 10 for me. It's close to an Gibson in shape, which is the only other one I like.

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

I like the concept of Signature Models, unless it gets as ridiculous as the stash of Slash's Gibson models.

Look at the NINETEEN models he got there! I ask myself: Where is number 20???

https://guitar-compare.com/signature-models/slash/
It occurred to me, as I was poking around on line....Dime Bag Daryl has A LOT more signature models then slash. I think all of his are with Dean Guitars.

Mr. Daystar

I think we ended up with 2 of these somehow Sup.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
It occurred to me, as I was poking around on line....Dime Bag Daryl has A LOT more signature models then slash. I think all of his are with Dean Guitars.
I watched a video blog last week or so, the two of the moderators pointed out that signature models are maionly a way to get attention for the brand. There is hardly a new aspect for actually artistic - personal artistic, in the way of playing - by releasing another model. But if it makes it into guitar magazines and guitar blogs, that's great advertisement

Mr. Daystar

Yeah, what happened here? And which one do I close?
Can't you merge them, or move the posts. If one has to go, I would prefer this one stay open.

Mr. Daystar

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
🎸Speaking of guitarists and voodoo. 🎸

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Pickups on that SRV guitar are placed just right.

SRV's birthday is coming up. October 3. Also the anniversary of his death just passed. August 27.

He was a master of bending strings and distortion just like his mentor Jimi Hendrix.

Last edited:

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
They say Rock is dead. Is that true? Something about they didn't even have a rock category at some recent awards show. I do not know. I stumbled across Rick Beato's youtube channel sometime last year and he says there are currently more guitar virtuosos on youtube and instagram than there have ever been guitar virtuosos ever. Weird, because I listened to some of the people whose ass he blew copious amounts of smoke up and they just sound like note wankers. I decided to look up an exchange I had in the comments section, see, y'all, I don't just argue politics. 😂

10youshouldknow.jpg
comments.jpg
comments2.jpg
comments3.jpg

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
🎸Speaking of guitarists and voodoo. 🎸

Stevie Ray Vaughan

SRV's birthday is coming up. October 3. Also the anniversary of his death just passed. August 27.

He was a master of bending strings and distortion just like his mentor Jimi Hendrix.

Plus he had the voodoo antics like Hendrix. Here he is, live with Double Trouble in Japan, puffing on a pipe

42079960jm.png

Those hats were a nice touch, too. Man, that was a guy.

Mr. Daystar

I actually checked out the SRV signature Strat at a music shop once, and I gotta be honest, Fender dropped the ball hard on the particular one I held. I realize you need to have a set-up done on almost every guitar you buy, but I'm talking beyond that. The edges of the frets needed MAJOR filing, they were sharp enough to have your hand bloody after a few songs. The height of the frets was bogus too. They seemed very high, even for a new guitar. The other thing I found odd, was the neck...it seemed so "chunky", and thick, for a Strat, or for a man that plays as fast as SRV, and covers so much ground across the neck. Considering what it cost, I hope that was just a slip by Fender's Q.C. dept.

Mr. Daystar

Because the thread needs some color....
grpexp.jpg
grpexp01.jpg
grpher07.jpg
zerita.jpg
And I gotta be honest, I was appalled at the lack of Flying V's, Strats, and double necks.

Mr. Daystar

https://www.yahoo.com/news/legendary-electric-guitar-inventor-les-224533464.html

I can't see this going for the numbers they're projecting. Way to low, hell David Gilmour's black Strat went for almost 4 million. It would be great if Steve Miller got a hold of it, Les was his God Father, and taught him to play. Hell of thing to tell people, "I learned from the guy that invented electric guitars, and who taught you?"